Overnight french toast bake is truly such an easy breakfast or brunch ideas, especially for the holidays!
I think holidays like this should serve as an opportunity to do nothing but enjoy the day as a family. That’s not to say I wouldn’t love a crafty present from my babies, but beyond that, all I want is time…oh and maybe some Overnight French Toast Bake…
Yeah, it looks as unhealthy as it is. But it’s such an inexpensive breakfast and is by far the most decadent, mouthwatering dish I’ve ever had.
Overnight French Toast Bake
1.5 C milk
loaf of bread (best if a bit stale!)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar + 3T + additional for sprinkling
- Melt butter in a pan and then mix in the brown sugar until melted
- Pour 2/3rds of the mix into a 9×13 pan.
- Mix the eggs, milk, 3t vanilla, 2t cinnamon, 3T brown sugar together.
- Place a layer of bread down evenly into the 9×13 pan then pour half the custard onto the bread.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and brown.sugar on top of the bread then another layer of bread then the rest of the custard, then more cinnamon and sugar.
- Top with what’s left of the butter/sugar mix.
- Put in fridge overnight (so important!!)
- Pull out in the morning as your oven is preheating to 350 degrees (trust me – don’t skip this step!)
- Cook for approximately 1 hour or until the top is golden brown.
If you prefer it to be a bit more like custard, you can stop there. I prefer to pull it out, slice it up so that caramel bottom runs golden sugar rivers between the slices, then put back in for 5 more minutes.
When you dish the bread, use a spatula to serve it and flip it so that the sugary bottom is now the top. You’ll want to dish it while it’s still hot and you’ll want to do so quickly, before the sugar hardens.
I’m not normally a fan of French toast but this…oh this is so different.
The cooked sugar creates this crisp shell that serves as a perfect complement to the fluffy, rich bread underneath. No syrup is needed, though a warm cup of coffee or a bowl of fresh strawberries would certainly round out what is sure to be one of the best breakfasts you’ve ever had.
Believe me, the whole family will thank you.
What is YOUR favorite breakfast? Comment below, I’d love to know!